Site Map      

Re: Help Copper quarter found

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Coin Club Moderated Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JeffK on September 16, 2006 at 13:46:52:

In Reply to: Help!!! Copper quarter found! posted by Tiffany on September 16, 2006 at 02:54:44:

Take a deep breath .. think calm thoughts ... remove exclamation points .... etc.

There are at least 4 possibilities:

1. If the quarter is thinner and lighter in weight than a normal quarter, it's likely to be a double delamination error. That happens when the outer cupronickel cladding is missing from the coin's pure copper core. Cladding is mechanically bonded to the core in large metal rolls before striking into coins; sometimes the bond is not solid and the cladding will peel off either before or after striking. Delaminated state quarters retail in the $15 or so range. A dealer will pay wholesale, of course.

2. If the quarter is the same weight and thickness as a normal quarter, either:
a) Someone plated it with copper. Any decent high-school chemistry student can do this ... (I know, I did it plenty when I learned about half-reactions in 10th grade, LOL !)
b) The coin was exposed to some chemical and/or heat that changed its color. I've even seen black quarters result from this sort of activity.

In either 2a or 2b, the coin is considered damaged and is worth only face value.

3. The coin is an "off-metal strike", where a blank intended for a foreign coin or medal accidentally slipped into the hopper and was struck as if it were a normal quarter. An off-metal strike is unlikely and can generally be verified only by having the coin examined in person. I'd suggest a dealer or other appraiser who handles error coins.

P.S. Ft. Leonard Wood, right?

: Someone please help me find an answer to this! My husband is in Missouri, in AIT for the military, and he said he found a copper quarter today. He's not stupid when it comes to metals, so I trust the fact that it is as he says. He said it's from 2003 and is a Maine state quarter. What is it really made from /or what is it really and where would it have came from? This is a new one on me.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Coin Club Moderated Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

WWWBoard © 2001, All Rights Reserved.
Matt Wright and DBasics Software Company
at 151.199.227.28