Site Map      

Re: nickel or silver plated 1955 wheat penny

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Coin Club Moderated Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JeffK on September 18, 2006 at 22:35:44:

In Reply to: nickel or silver plated 1955 wheat penny posted by Carmen on September 18, 2006 at 20:24:55:

Welcome to the hobby!

You are correct; it is probably plated. If you can weigh the coin on an accurate scale, a plated copper cent will weigh a bit more than the standard weight of 3.11 gm. If you don't have an accurate scale, use a second pre-1982 cent (i.e. not a current zinc-core cent) as a counterweight and make a good ol' elementary school popsicle stick balance.

My only caveat would be if the coin felt slippery when you picked it up. In that case **DO NOT** continue to handle it because it may have been coated in mercury, which is of course very toxic. It's unlikely, but I have seen several such coins over the years.

As you've certainly seen there is an incredible amount of information on the 'net about coin collecting. Most of it is valuable, but there's also lots of junk so you have to be wary. This site is good for people just starting out so don't hesitate to keep posting. There's loads more at places like the U.S. mint site (www.usmint.gov), CoinFacts.com, sites from various guilds such as NGC, NumisMedia, and so on and so on. Enjoy!

: I found a 1955 wheat penny that is shiny silver looking I can't find anything about it anywhere. I would appreciate anyones help I am a new coin collector

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Coin Club Moderated Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

WWWBoard © 2001, All Rights Reserved.
Matt Wright and DBasics Software Company
at 151.199.227.28