Site Map      

Re: half dime half PENNY

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Coin Club Moderated Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by crystal on March 10, 2008 at 20:36:15:

In Reply to: Re: half dime half PENNY posted by JeffK on March 06, 2007 at 19:57:48:

: This is a novelty piece made by fusing together halves of a genuine dime and cent. It's the same machining technique that's used to make those two-headed or two-tailed magicians' coins that occasionally show up in circulation. Get a strong magnifier and look closely. There will probably be a faint seam where the smaller dime was inserted into the hollowed-out part of the cent.

: These coins sell for a few bucks in novelty shops but because they're altered coins so they don't have any numismatic value.

: Two other points -

: First, consider for a minute just how hard it would be for the Mint to have been striking coins from a strip of metal stock that was copper on one side and silver on the other AND with mixed dies, but no one noticed.

: Second, I've found the Firefox browser to be very useful. Not to get into the IE vs. Firefox wars, but it has a built-in spelling checker than has really helped my typing.

: : This coin is half mercury dime and half WHEAT PENNY [weat pennie] together. It is thinner than the average dime and the penny half is copper and the dime half is silver with a little hint of copper. I was wondering if this was a mistake and if so how much its worth?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Coin Club Moderated Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

WWWBoard © 2001, All Rights Reserved.
Matt Wright and DBasics Software Company
at 68.198.87.219