Site Map      

Re: 1787 "Brasher doubloon"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Coin Club Moderated Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JeffK on June 26, 2009 at 13:26:12:

In Reply to: 1787 BRASHER posted by Terri on April 01, 2006 at 02:44:35:

Apologies for missing this post earlier. You're correct to suspect that the coin could be a fake because only 6 original specimens are known. Pretty much everything else will turn out to be legitimate reproductions or outright counterfeits.

To detect a real one, an expert would have to perform a specific gravity test to help ID what metal it's made of, along with examining design details that could distinguish the real thing from a copy. But the bottom line is similar to all of the "really old Confederate money" that turns up at many sales - it's 99.999% certain to be a copy.

: Hi there,
: I'm very new to the coin world. My Mother who passed away 25 years ago left me a few coins. They were given to her by her Grandmother who was 89 whe she passed away. I really didn't think much of them thinking some were coins from Mexico and not worth much. A friend saw a couple of my coins and became very interested in one, he told me I should research it on the internet. To my suprise there were many sites talking about this coin. I have read a lot on the history of it and learned there were many remakes in the 1800's. I've counted every star looked at every detail of this coin comparing it to an original in the smith.. museum. Some of the remakes have ridges like a quarter would around the outside but mine doesn't, its smooth. The EB is over the wing, all details are the same. Some of the remakes I saw didn't have the name under the leaf like circle, mine does. I had to have a magnifing glass to read it but its there. I talked with a man in New York that I was REFERRED [refered] to and he was pretty excited. The only thing that bothers me is my coin looks to be a very old silver but when you turn it a certain way it looks gold. The man didn't seem bothered by this saying that all the coins that have been found are not perfect in color. I looked online at some of the remakes which were made of Copper and they don't look like my coin at all. They look dark brown and rustic, which has become more interesting to me. I have researched sooo much to see if Brasher Doubloon had made any silver ones that may have a hint of Gold and the only thing I could find is he made a few silver ones before the Copper ones were made. It said but there were very few I can't find it they have been found. On one site it does mention that the Silver vs Gold ones could have been a way of distingushing a Dollar from a low amount. Two sentences with all the researching I have done. I did notice on the MUSEUM'S [musiums] site that the Brasher Doubloons 1787 real ones looked to be silver with that Gold tint. Mine is for sure not as SHINY [shinny] as the ones are in the MUSEUM [Musium]. I'm taking my coin to have it looked at on Monday. I have it safely tucked away in a safety deposit box. If you have the time I really need your expertise. Could this coin have a dark silver look to it and then in the shade or when I turn the coin to the side it looks gold? I have no idea how these old coins look with age. I also saw an original on a Website that looked very very dark Gold in color and not even like the ones in the picture from the Smith.. MUSEUM [Musium]. After I take this in Monday I'm to call the man in New York and he said if its authentic he will be flying here to see it. Please if you can help me with the color question or have any advise on how to go about this, let me know ok. Please feel free to e-mail me. Are there a whole lot of reproductions out there? How can you tell if it is if everything looks the same from an original? Thank you so much in advance.
: Terri

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Coin Club Moderated Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

WWWBoard © 2001, All Rights Reserved.
Matt Wright and DBasics Software Company
at 96.245.16.138